Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Institute
On this page:
The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Institute aims to lead the investment profession globally by promoting the highest standards of ethics, education, and professional excellence. The CFA designation is the most respected and recognised investment management credential in the world.
Looking for your career advantage as an investment professional?
Here's your chance to learn about the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation, scholarships and employment opportunities with Dr Jeffrey Stangi (President, CFA Society of NZ) and Dace Caldwell (CFA Board Director).
When: Wednesday 8 March, 11:15am - 1pm
The University of Canterbury (UC)’s Bachelor of Commerce major in Finance has been acknowledged as incorporating at least 70 percent of the CFA Program Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK) and as placing emphasis on the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice within the program. The programme positions students to obtain the Chartered Financial Analyst® designation, which has become the most respected and recognised investment credential in the world.
The Bachelor of Commerce degree, majoring in Finance, provides students with a strong foundation in corporate finance, financial markets and institutions, and investment analysis. The program covers a wide variety of challenging topics included in the CFA Exam Level I, Level II and Level III curricula. Students are well prepared and encouraged to sit for the CFA exam Level I by the time they graduate from UC. Since 2011, most UC-sponsored students passed the CFA Exam Level I on the first try.
Entry into the CFA Institute University Recognition Program signals to potential students, employers, and the marketplace that the University of Canterbury curriculum is closely tied to professional practice and is well-suited to preparing students to sit for the CFA examinations. Through participation in this programme, the Department of Economics and Finance at the University of Canterbury is eligible to award a limited number of scholarships to UC students to take the CFA exam in June and December each year. A call for scholarship applications to take the CFA exam Level I will be announced twice a year. Students will need to prepare for the exam before applying for a scholarship and before a decision can be made. For further information about the CFA exams, please visit the website.
Students with a strong background in Economic, Finance and Accounting are also welcomed to apply to represent UC at the CFAI Investment Research Competition. For further information about the annual competition, please contact Dr Huong Dieu Dang, CFA .
The following mapping guide includes the CFA Exam Level I topics covered within the Bachelor of Commerce major in Finance program.
Quantitative Methods >>
- Market Forces of Supply and Demand: ECON104, ECON105
- The Firm and Industry Organization: ECON104, ECON105
- Measuring National Income and Growth: ECON104, ECON105
- Business Cycles: ECON104, ECON105
- The Monetary System: ECON104, ECON105
- Inflation: ECON104, ECON105
- International Trade and Capital Flows: FINC344
- Currency Exchange Rates: FINC344
- Monetary and Fiscal Policy: ECON105
Financial Reporting and Analysis >>
Corporate Finance >>
Equity Investments >>
- Types of Equity Securities and their Characteristics: FINC311
- Equity Markets: Characteristics, Institutions, and Benchmarks: FINC203, FINC311
- Fundamental Analysis (Sector, Industry, Company) and the Valuation of Individual Equity Securities: FINC311
- Equity Market Valuation and Return Analysis: FINC311
- Special Applications of Fundamental Analysis (Residual Earnings): FINC311, FINC302
Fixed Income >>
- Types of Fixed Income Securities and their Characteristics: FINC201, FINC203, FINC316
- Fixed Income Markets: Characteristics, Institutions, and Benchmarks: FINC203, FINC316
- Fixed Income Valuation (Sector, Industry, Company) and Return Analysis: FINC306
- Term Structure Determination and Yield Spreads: FINC203, FINC316, FINC312
- Analysis of Interest Rate Risk: FINC203, FINC316
- Analysis of Credit Risk: FINC316
- Types of Derivative Instruments and their Characteristics: FINC312
- Forward Markets and Instruments: FINC203, FINC312
- Futures Markets and Instruments: FINC203, FINC312
- Options Markets and Instruments: FINC203, FINC312
- Swaps Markets and Instruments: FINC203, FINC312
- Credit Derivatives Markets and Instruments: FINC316, FINC312
Alternative Investments >>
Portfolio Management and Wealth Planning >>
Are you planning to sit your CFA Level 1 exams? Don’t miss your opportunity to receive discounted exam registration and a waived CFA Program enrolment fee (if applicable). In each (US) academic year the Department of Economics and Finance can nominate five students for the Awareness Scholarships to take the CFA Level 1 exam in either December or June the following year. The next round of scholarships will be for June 2017.
Applications normally require you to email a one-page cover letter and your CV to the UC CFA Program coordinator. Your cover letter should address the following two questions:
- How well have you prepared for the exam? You may include a specific study plan.
- How would the scholarship and the exam help you achieve your professional goals?
NOTE: The deadline to apply for a scholarship to take the CFA exam in June 2017 is 4pm (sharp), 20 January 2017.
For information about the scholarships visit http://www.cfainstitute.org/programs/cfaprogram/scholarships/Pages/awareness_scholarships.aspx
for information about the CFA exam visit http://www.cfainstitute.org/programs/cfaprogram/courseofstudy/Pages/index.aspx
In addition to the CFA Program Awareness Scholarships, the CFA have introduced their new Womens Scholarship Program. This program is available to women around the world seeking to earn the CFA charter. The Women’s Scholarship Program was developed to offer additional opportunities to women in support of the CFA Institute Women in Investment Management initiative, which is focused on improving investor outcomes by encouraging diversity in the investment management profession globally. This new program will offer a limited number of CFA Program scholarships for the upcoming June 2017 exams. Additional details, including the application can be found on the CFA website at http://www.cfainstitute.org/programs/cfaprogram/scholarships/Pages/awareness_scholarships.aspx.